Wednesday, May 08, 2019

Tools I Use (Peg Post #3)

Heyo, everyone!  Happy Feast of the Apparition of St. Michael the Archangel!

So this happened:



 So freaking awesome.  I have a few minutes in between feedings here to type, so I better git to the rat killin'.  Here's a thorough (but possibly incomplete because mom brain) list of the things that I use during the peg doll process.  I love lists.  They're my favorite.  For more peg posts, see here.



Sketch book
First of all, I sketch out my ideas for my pegs.  It helps to have all my ideas in one tidy spot.  


Inspiration & Prayer
Before I even get sketching, though, I need to do research on my saint.  How have they been portrayed?  What symbols are present with them most of the time?  I usually start at Catholicsaints.info for information.  I also take a look at other artists to see what they've come up with.  

Here are some resources that I have helped get my ideas flowing:

Peg Dolls:



Paint and small palette 
(or resealable paint cups)
I typically use the cheapest, non-toxic matte paint that I can find.  I've made a few mistakes along the way in terms of getting my look just right.  My advice is: be consistent.  If you are going to use glossy, make sure all of your paint and your sealant is glossy.  If you're not into the sheen, use matte all around. I also use a small palette like this to keep my colors straight.  I also like to mix colors, which can be dangerous if you don't make enough OR it dries out.  I should really just get paint cups one of these days but meh.


Embossing tools

These are an absolute LIFE SAVER.  After my first peg doll, St. Joseph, didn't really turn out the way I wanted, I started looking for different tools.  The brushes I was using for really fine details were disappointing me.  Initially, I totally stalked some other peg doll artists to see what kind of tools they were using, and these really piqued my interest.  I seriously randomly found them one day at Hobby Lobby.  I didn't even know what they were called, because I got them home, tore them open, and used them right away.  It took me about another week of research to figure out that they're embossing tools.  These are so much better than using brushes for details because you can basically do one thick, even coat for your details.  These save time and frustration.  I use these more than any tiny brush for the details.  I highly recommend!  You can find them on amazon.  Just search for "embossing stylus."


Soft hair brushes
Soft hair brushes are great for large areas that will be painted one single color.  They make the coat of paint even, and you can blend out the streaks.  Small, soft hair brushes are also great for line details because they don't fight so much against the curve of the peg.



Stiff hair/acrylic brushes
I really don't like using stiff hair brushes for anything other than touch ups.


Saran Wrap
Before I begin.                      After the project is done.

Saran wrap, while it can be a pain to wrap/tape to my table, is much better than newspaper.  It doesn't stick to the pegs as badly if you happen to leave a wet one on it.  

If you only have a painter's palette, you can saran wrap the crap out of it to keep your paint wet, and save your colors if you happen to mix them.  


Egg cartons
These bad boys are freaking awesome.  I use them mostly to keep the pegs all in one place.  I don't use them so much when I'm painting because the pegs will stick, but when I'm done, they keep me organized.  


Pencils
I switch back and forth between these two.  I use a mechanical pencil to lightly sketch on the details.  I use the pink eraser from the other pencil to get rid of sketched mistakes.  I've found that pink eraser works best on painted wood; it doesn't leave any streaks or gunk.


Vinyl stickers
Much to my delight, I mentioned using a vinyl stencil in my previous post.  I think I'm going to do this from now on to label my pegs.  My writing is sloppy and inconsistent.  I want these guys to look good.  Not saying that everyone has to do this.  If you have the means, try it out!


Sealant
I use a spray on permanent fixative.  In my estimation, it takes a lot LESS time than using something like modpodge or another paint on fixative.  A word of warning.  IF you use matte sealer on glossy paint, it will take about half the shine out of the finished peg.  A sad lesson I learned with my last peg, Our Lady of Good Help.



Lazy susan, the great outdoors, 
& nice weather
If you are using an aerosol fixative, DO IT OUTSIDE on a warm, sunny day.  It dries a lot faster.  I use a lazy susan (that I only use for crafting) to get an even coating.  If I do it too thick or unevenly, the fixative shows makes the peg look "frosted" or "frosted" streaks start showing.  

That's it for now!  If I remember anything else, or find new things, I'll add them!  

Coming up next, my fourth and final post: Mistakes I've Made.  



St. Michael, defend us!


No comments: